Preparing for your LASIK Procedure
To help you have a smooth LASIK procedure and experience a faster and more comfortable recovery, please review these instructions. The surgery center will call you the day before your surgery to confirm your arrival time prior to the actual procedure.
If you have any questions about your LASIK procedure, please call our Surgery Coordinator at 318-487-2020.
- If you wear contacts, you will need to remove your lenses for at least two weeks prior to surgery.
- Starting three (3) days prior to your procedure, put one (1) drop of Prednisolone 1% in the eye(s) to be operated on. Repeat four (4) times a day.
- Coordinate with a spouse, family member, or friend to drive you to and from your procedure. You will not be able to drive following surgery.
Day Before Procedure:
- On the day prior to your surgery, put the Vigamox antibiotic eye drops in the eye(s) to be operated on. Beginning at 5pm, Instill one (1) drop four to five (4-5) times in the surgery eye/eyes before bedtime (drop(s) at 5pm, 6pm, 7pm, 8pm, 9pm).
- Wash your face thoroughly, removing all traces of make-up. Baby shampoo along lash line can be used to ensure all eye-liner and mascara is removed.
- Gently wipe the lids with the Ocusoft lid Scrubs.
- DO NOT apply moisturizer or eye rejuvenation serum/gel on the eyelids or around the eyes.
Morning/Day of Procedure:
- Wash your face the morning of the surgery and gently wipe the lids with the Ocusoft lid Scrubs.
- DO NOT use many make-up or moisturizers on or around the eyes.
- DO NOT wear cologne or perfume, as the fumes may interfere with the laser beam.
- Dress in warm, loose clothing, as the surgery room is kept cold.
- You will be given 10mg of Valium on the day of your surgery.
- Bring your signed consent forms, drops, and final payment with you on the day of surgery.
You may experience a foreign body sensation, sensitivity to light, tearing, blurriness or fluctuation in vision, soreness or tenderness around the eye and red spots on the white part of your eye. All of this is normal and will subside in a few days to weeks.
If you experience severe pain, loss of vision or excessive tearing, please call the office immediately at 318-487-2020.
Immediately Following the Procedure:
- Keep your eyes closed and rest for 2-3 hours after surgery.
- DO NOT drive, sign legal documents, or drink alcohol within 24 hours of taking the Valium given to you before your procedure.
Following the Procedure:
- Wear your goggles while resting or sleeping for one week.
- Avoid getting anything into your eyes for the first few days following your procedure. This includes shampoo, soap, sweat, and chlorine.
- DO NOT rub your eyes.
- DO NOT wear eye makeup for one (1) week after surgery.
- DO NOT play contact sports for two (2) weeks.
- DO NOT go swimming in a pool for one (1) week and a lake or pond for two (2) weeks following surgery.
- DO NOT get sweat in your eyes.
Post-Op Drop Schedule:
- After resting for 2-3 hours following your procedure, begin using Vigamox four (4) times a day and Prednisolone 1% every two (2) hours on the day of surgery, and then four (4) times a day for one week. Close your eyes for two (2) minutes after putting drop in. Wait 10 minutes between each drop so you do not rinse them out.
- Continue Vigamox and Prednisolone for one (1) week and then discontinue.
- Use preservative-free artificial tears, such as Systane® or Refresh®, at least 4 to 5 times a day for the first few days, then use as needed.
Interested in learning more about LASIK? Click here to schedule your FREE LASIK consultation today!